[LMB] Re: OT: Cars. etc.

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:55:33 -0500

-- Paula Lieberman
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexandra Haropulos" <aharo at erols.com>

> Azalais Malfoy wrote:
>
> > It's because of my suburban childhood that I wouldn't move to the
> > suburbs with or without a kid, even at gunpoint.
>
> And my husband, who grew up in the city, wouldn't move back
> at gunpoint. Even after 30-odd years living in the suburbs
> he still exclaims at the beauty of the quiet, the trees and
> the wildlife. My father (God rest him) was the same way. I
> don't believe I've ever known anyone as interested in nature
> and natural history.
>
> I suppose the city is okay if you can live in the East
> Eighties, or something like that.
>
> Now I, having grown up in suburbia, would love to live in
> the remote country. The grass is always greener...

Well, not necessarily. There are New Yorkers who have lived in the same
block their entire lives and are averse to the idea of moving to some other
neighborhood.   A late uncle by marriage, lived his entire civilian life in
Jersey City like that.   Some people rebel against their parents' lifestyle,
but some grew up with it and can't conceive of voluntarily living elsewhere.
Other people move several time a decade, or even more frequently, to very
different places.

At Brickbottom, I went to the 70 or so open studio showings in the
buildings.  After a while I decided, "I couldn't live like this,
permanently." There's garden in the courtyard, but the living/working
quarters themselves are space arranged the way the artists decided to have
them set up.   I didn't see much evidence of
bibliomania/bibliophiledom--some people did have some shelves of art books,
but I didnt' see any of the spaces with signs of of the level of book
accumulation typical of e.g. science fiction fans.  Few had much in the way
of green plants.  A few people have pets -- one studio included a couple
very friendly, affable Siamese cats, others had birds.  The dog owners had
seemed to have hidden their dogs for the day, though.

Cities differ, though.  People who live in some parts of New York and some
parts of Boston, have public gardens, open space, arborteums, parks, etc.,
that they can go to.   Boston even has garden plots available in the Fens
area for resident to grow whatever plants the feel like planting there.
Co-op City in New York has always given me the creeps, "anthill!" was one of
my prickly hostile reactions to it.  But, there are people who live there
and -like- living there....