[LMB] Re: OT: Kids' games

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:49:16 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 CatMtn at aol.com wrote:

> Malfoy writes:
> Yeah, but some of that's temperament.  As I said, I wouldn't have
> played outside very much no matter where I grew up.  I never
> liked getting dirty, and I always hated ball games.
>
> M replies:
>
> I preferred to read, too, but was usually chased outside to
> play for a while by my maternal parent.  There were a lot of
> kids my age, but almost all of them were boys, so I learned to
> play boys' games more than I would have liked, although I
> enjoyed building things even then.

I was chased outside occasionally, but not often.  You'd have had
to LOCK me out, really.  I have often said that I am the
anti-outdoorswoman.  If forced out of doors as a child I went
wandering into the woods and away from the hellions that lived in
our neighborhood. I lost interest in other children my age when
THEY lost interest in "Let's Pretend" and started wanting to play
games with balls and rules.  I resented this so very much that
even if I had had the hand-eye coordination not to suck at such
games, you still couldn't have got me to play them.

I was much relieved at 15 when some kind soul gave me D&D and
Traveller and I discovered that you could get other people to
play "Let's Pretend" again with dice.  It's the only game I've
ever really liked.

> Also, this was during WW II and my mother was the only parent
> around who could teach everybody how to spin a top, shoot
> marbles, build and fly kites, ride a bicycle, and throw a
> baseball.

I doubt that she could have taught me.  Those things all require
motor skills I didn't have till I was in my early teens (well,
the riding bicycles and throwing balls part never did develop).
There is a reason I don't drive or ride a bike, as I have said in
other posts.

> If kids today miss out on this sort of thing, I feel sorry for
> them.

I feel sorry for the ones who'd want it.  As I rejected it
whole-heartedly when it was available, I can't say it should be
forced on people.

~malfoy :)