[LMB] Translations, was: Listie checking in from Prague (now OT:)

Tom Vinson Tom_Vinson at mpsisys.com
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:58:38 -0600

<tmi>
Just a note regarding the transcription of western "h"* in
Russian.  Evidentally in the early 19th century the Russian
"G" (3rd character of the alphabet) was pronounced in some
circles as a voiced version of the character that looks like
"X".  So a transcription like "galstukh" (German "halstuch"
or kerchief) was quite close to the original.  Since then
the standard pronunciation has moved to a hard "g" sound,
so more modern borrowings use "X" instead.

You can still hear the earlier pronunciation in religious
words like _bog_ and _gospod'_, influenced by Church Slavonic.

The pronunciation is apparently becoming popular again in some
areas, according to an article (in Russian) by a Russian professor.
It's out on the web somewhere.  I have a printout but not the url.
If you're interested, let me know off-list and I'll trace it down.
</tmi>

Tom
[*] lowercase for (English) sounds, uppercase for letters