[LMB] Ektarin and 'homebodies'

Debbie lioness at bellsouth.net
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:28:11 -0600

At 07:05 PM 11/26/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Paula wrote:
>
>>That's a major contributor to me finding Ekaterin someone I don't go out
>>of my way to read about.  <snip> "What do you think of the Nixon
>>impeachment hearings?" Sandy asked the woman.  The woman turned to her
>>husband and asked, "Honey, what I do think about the Nixon impeachment
>>hearings?" AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!  I really, really, really don't want
>>to deal with that sort of thing!   Give me someone who's at least able to
>>carry on an intelligent conversation or have an opinion of their own, or
>>play Ivan and come up with all sorts of crazy ways to get out of
>>expressing one!
>
>That is an AWFULLY narrow view of married women.  I know no few women who
>made a choice to run the household and raise the kids (as well as other
>activities, such as handling all the moneys and investing and thereby
>surpass the nominal pay income substatially...or maybe even write SF
>novels) who held strong, independent views their entire relationship with
>a given partner.  It is extremely faulty logic to make the baseline
>assumption of "married, home, with kids" (aka  "homebody") = what Paula
>describes above, and then having made that extremely broad assumption,
>apply it to Ekaterin.  Ekaterin hasn't demonstrated any instance I can
>recall that would validate Paula's scenario above as being applicable.
>
>I also know some single women (and men) who are single because...well, at
>least, theorized by those who know these critters...they have very little
>to actually contribute to a relationship.  Some are even rather
>educated..but they are unable to share, communicate (as in transmit AND
>recieve...the transmitter works, reciever very faulty), they are
>relatively unemcumbered by responsibilities and can construct a safe world
>for them to pen themselves up in....well, I'm sure everyone can thing of
>people who are single "for a reason", and not neccessarily because the
>person says "I don't want anyone."  Just making the point while Paula
>seems to have this very myopic view of married women, being married or
>being single is not an indicator of ...well, of about anything except
>maybe their tax return structure.
>--

IIRC higher IQ women are statistically MORE likely to be married than lower
IQ women, and FAR MORE likely to have arranged their family's finances so
that they can actually afford to stay home with their children during their
formative years.  Paula might want to look at some hard data and not just
old non-wives' tales.

Debbie
http://www.brigidsforge.com
Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

"Fascism should more properly be called 'corporatism,' since it is the
marriage of government and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini