[LMB] OT: Thanksgiving Food

James M. BRYANT, G4CLF jbryant at iee.org
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:02:22 +0000

Jim Parish has got to:-

 >...figure out what to do with the *rest*
of the fish sauce and tofu...

The sauce will keep in the refrigerator
for quite a while. Tofu (I believe, I use
paneer myself) grows green hair after a
while. You'll just have to cook something
else with it soon. How about a tofu variant
of Mattar Paneer:-

1 Small Onion, peeled and chopped fine
Oil
50 gm P/a/n/e/e/r Tofu
15-30 gm Patak's Madras Curry Paste
50 ml water or dry (hard) cider
1/4 Vegetable stock cube
50-75 gm frozen petits pois or garden peas
Tomato puree to taste.
DO NOT USE THE FISH SAUCE

Fry the onions in a little oil until lightly
caramelised (light to mid-brown). If you are
using home-made p/a/n/e/e/r tofu fry this
until just brown, too. (Factory p/a/n/e/e/r
tofu is sometimes too moist to fry and pops
or breaks up - try.) Add Patak's Madras Curry
Paste to taste and fry this briefly, too. Add
the liquid, tomato puree and stock cube and
simmer gently for 10-15 minutes to cook the
spices. Add the frozen peas and bring back to
the boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes (slightly longer
if you use normal sized frozen peas) and serve.
[Quantities are per person - you may need to
make minimum 2-3 person batch.]

James - who never misses an opportunity to curry