[LMB] Re: OT: High IQ women

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 01:09:15 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Joanie Laurel wrote:

> >Ummmm ... but is there actually a correlation between high IQ
> >and wanting to have children and liking children? For a
> >counter-example, think Joan Crawford.
>
> There has been a vocal "childfree" movement going on, of just
> those intelligent people who don't wish to have children and
> consciously choose not to. (Sadly, it's often accompanied by
> what I shall politely refer to as "excessive snark" aimed at
> those who do have children, chosen or not.)

Er, well, those boards are one of the few safe places to complain
about Irritating Things People With Children Often Do.  So, yes,
the snark level is high.  I frequent a few of them.  I actually
LIKE children, especially intelligent ones, but I really don't
like babies and I suck at being pregnant so.  Anyhow, this is
where you go to bitch about it when you are expected to cover for
all the parents on holidays because their children's holidays are
considered more important by your boss than your right to use
your vacation time to slither around the bar in Cancun.  And
stuff like that.

> Adversely. I can't abide babies, and don't get on well at all
> with them, and if I became afflicted with one, I'd likely go
> off the deep end if I was lacking a partner who did like
> babies. I don't interact well with children who I can't
> interact with intelligently, in the long term.

Same here.  I like teenagers, preteens, and all the precocious,
troublemaking brats most people can't STAND.  However, I tend to
encourage them somewhat in being uppity as long as it doesn't
look like they're going to hurt themselves.  They amuse me, and
remind me of myself.

~malfoy :)