[LMB] Re: Trophy wives, was about Ekaterin

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:05:42 EST

Paula writes:
> M replies:
>
> Yes, and corporate wives at the executive level usually don't work outside

Paula inserted: If you mean "trophy wives"....

> the home whether they have children or not, but are rarely dummies.
 M again:

I never met a "trophy wife."  The companies my husband worked for were all
quite conservative and trophy wives would have been career poison.  The
corporate wives of my acquaintance had very mixed backgrounds, from the
Radcliffe/Junior League types to ex-small-town schoolteachers like me (and there were
several of us).  None were what could be called dummies.  All were college grads,
most with at least some graduate school.  Most of us were involved in some
charity work (the local zoo, for me), and most of the other wives had families
either in process of being raised or already grown and out of the house.  In the
only marriage I knew of besides my own in which the husband had been married
before, he was a widower.  In our case, Joe had married very young, divorced,
and met and married me years later when he was 37 years old and I was 31.
Actually, I was probably the closest thing to one, as I _looked_ like a bimbo (not
intentionally, just genetics; Italian ancestry will do that to you) until I'd
been married a few years and gained a few pounds and a little gray hair.  We
all led extremely conservative lives by list standards, at least as far as the
list talk goes.  I think the whole idea is a little like some of the urban
legends---"these things exist--but not here.  It's those people down the road who
live like that."

Mary