[LMB] Re: Trophy wives (was Ekaterin)

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:01:55 EST

Bill writes:
It's a fairly common phenomenon in executive corporate circles, not anything
like a majority, but a solid 10-15% rate of occurrence. Incidentally, many
of the "original executive wives" were also very good looking, spent loads
of time and energy on looking good and being hostesses, and not much time on
"volunteer" work - it all depends on the circles one travels in, but
executives at very large enterprises, especially before the recent corporate
governance movement, really operated in a very rarified and rules-different
world than we experience.
M replies:

Funny--these second, younger, prettier wives didn't seem to exist in Akron,
which at the time I lived there (1968-1986) had the headquarters of all the
major American rubber companies except US Rubber.  I would call Goodyear,
Firestone, BF Goodrich, and General large companies, and their presidents, CEO's,
heads of various departments, General Counsels, Assistant  Counsels, etc., did
not have "trophy wives."  Very, very few of them had been divorced.  Most of
them had been married for many years to the same women, who were not only good
hostesses, but who also worked with various charities around the community.  And
as for rules, that so-called rarified world had different rules, all right--
stricter rules than most social groups.

Mary