[LMB] Re: Trophy wives (was Ekaterin)

William Jaffe billj at patriot.net
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 07:10:19 -0500

IDOYPE: It depends on your personal experience.
Mine is in Washington, DC and California, some NY, Boston, and Philadelphia.
I would suspect that Midwest values are very different than people on the
East and West Coast. Hence the different experience...

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence. I'd venture to say that Akron
really isn't in the same culture as Washington, DC, or LA or SF. Granted
we're all Americans, and more so, we're all mostly in the same general set
of rules and regulations, but the overall culture, attention to religion
would be a good example, are simply different.

I could say I'd heard "urban legends about people who didn't trade wives out
for younger models", but the phenomenon of doing so is so accepted that it's
actually immortalized in a long-running Doonesbury strip about the
post-Enron experience. There was a whole sequence about Jim, the energy
trader, who fled the country with the trophy wife, etc.

But, as I said earlier, IDOYPE, and also, where you live.

Bill Jaffe
billj at patriot.net