[LMB] OT: penguins

CFR621 at aol.com CFR621 at aol.com
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:41:28 EST

Tourists consistently seem to think there are penguins in Alaska: wrong
hemisphere, although one was caught this year by a very surprised trawler (there
were a *lot* of bizarre wildlife stories in Alaska in 2003) just a *little*
north of its proper range.

I think I read somewhere a doubtless apocryphal story about penguins. When
they want to go back in the water there may be something in there that is hoping
for a penguin snack. So the group dances from foot to foot at the edge of the
water, longing yet reluctant to go in ... until one trips another and causes
it to take the critical dive. If it is not eaten, the rest dive in: if it is,
oh well, we'll do this again later!

My 1st commander at my last assignment in Alaska was fixated on the ER as a
source of inefficiency and waste: I still think his agenda was to close the ER
and convert my hospital (even though it was a small community hospital with
only one other hospital that did *not* accept TRICARE/military patients within
350 miles) into a super-clinic without 24/7 operations. And he endeared himself
(NOT) to me by saying in meetings at which I was not present that I was
ineffective and inefficient and was fired (though never to my face). I noted that
personnel from other sections would divert his attention from their areas by
saying when dangerous topics were raised: "Oh, Colonel G, in the ER they are
doing X/Y/Z" which would immediately divert his attention back to my ER ...

I got there in January: by my 1st Halloween I nearly rented a penguin suit --
except then I might have to explain the meaning ... I felt like I was the
sacrificial penguin...

By the by: listening to Georgette Heyer and LMB audiobooks have cued me into
the fact that many of the words I mentally/electronically use I have never
heard in speech: interesting.
Kit Ryan, coming off night shift and about to go on a Chicago temporary duty
trip ... oh joy!