[LMB] OT: penguins

Robert Parks rparks at lvhot.org
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:40:11 -0800

CFR621 at aol.com wrote:
> I think I read somewhere a doubtless apocryphal story about penguins. When
> they want to go back in the water there may be something in there that is hoping
> for a penguin snack. So the group dances from foot to foot at the edge of the
> water, longing yet reluctant to go in ... until one trips another and causes
> it to take the critical dive. If it is not eaten, the rest dive in: if it is,
> oh well, we'll do this again later!

The videos I've seen look more like an accumulating traffic jame
on the edge of the ice.  The ones on the edge peeking over, but
not wanting to be first, the ones in the back shuffling forward.
  Eventually one goes over (pushed, tripped, whatever) and it is
like a waterfall as the rest follow.

People do it too.  When I am approaching a crowded bus stop,
people all lean out, toes over the edge of the curb, eventually
one is pushed and steps or falls into the road and gets run over.
  Oops.  No, I habitually stop one person height away from the
curb or the farthest out body.

Happy holiday shopping season all!

Robert