[LMB] hi-q haiku OT:

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:13:07 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 Pouncer at aol.com wrote:

> Oh well, as long as we're doing anecdotes ... I thought this article
> about the situation of women in Japanese society was interesting:
>
> http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/story.php?storyID=13976
>
> "more troubling is the cluelessness of the men who run Japan
> ... They have never been interested in why Japanese women shun
> marriage and motherhood; in fact, when Japanese women point out
> the difficulties they face, men dismiss their complaints as a
> twittering of birds, unworthy of male attention "

Part of this is generational.  It's worth noting that young
Japanese men, in my experience, are not in any more of a hurry to
get married than the women are.

There's a very sharp difference between Japanese men in their
early thirties and younger and previous generations.  (I've dated
a fair number of Japanese guys.)

I remember sitting around a table after Chinese class with the
Japanese students who were in my study group.  (Our teacher
rather picked on us, and so we had sort of banded together.)

Out of the entire table only one person wanted to get married and
have kids;  it wasn't me, and I was the only female.

~malfoy:D