[LMB] Cazaril & Kushiel

PAT MATHEWS mathews55 at msn.com
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:28:36 -0700

Re-reading KUSHIEL'S AVATAR, I realized that Phedre no Delaunay's path
parallelled Cazaril's rather closely, and to the same end. In KUSHIEL'S
DART, Phedre is sold into slavery to a Germanic tribe of barbarians. This is
equivalent to Cazaril's service in the Fortress of Gotorget; it conditions
her for a life beyond the city and the Night Court. In KUSHIEL'S CHOSEN, she
undergoes a ritual of cleansing that forces her to look at herself and her
responsibility for everything that has happened, which opens her soul
further. In AVATAR, when she goes into the harem of a madman to rescue a
child, her victory is made possible only by her total surrender to the mad
king - who comes to love her for it, and thefefore becomes vulnerable. This
strikes me as parallel to Caz's death ritual atop the ruined tower.

Then, when the time comes, she's ready to empty out her soul and become a
vessel for the One God whose Name she needs to set another friend free.

Interesting parallel - you might want to look it up.

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection!  Prices start
at less than $1 a day average.  https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
by service area.)