[LMB] Re: OT: Babies

Louann Miller lqmiller at ev1.net
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:06:26 -0600

At 09:40 PM 11/29/2003 -0500, YankelAdler8092 at aol.com wrote:
>.  Why do you think so many women become
>depressed while taking care of little lumps that mess at both
>ends?  Post-partum
>depression is only partially caused by hormones.  the rest is round-the-clock
>tedium.  A corporate executive's hours, without the salary or perks.

My own phrasing is that sometimes you feel like the all-powerful Goddess
Mommy. Sometimes you feel like you have a 24/7 unpaid job involving human
feces and getting screamed at.

Having not started a family for many years, and now being well into the
process, I find that I feel about motherhood the way Heinlein in "Starship
Troopers" did about military service. It's a moral imperative that it be
done by volunteers. One, because it's such an important job that putting
draftees in would not do justice to its dignity and necessity. Two, because
it's such a messy demanding job that trying to draft in the unwilling would
result in the job being done badly.

Louann