[LMB] Thanksgiving OT:

Jim Parish jparish at siue.edu
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:17:54 -0600

Scott Raun asked:
> So, can I (we) get the recipe you used?

OK; I got this from the Christian Science Monitor, Feb. 13, 2002.

Ingredients: 12 oz. rice noodles, preferably vermicelli; 3 Tbsp. peanut
(preferred) or other oil; 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced; 1/2 lb. medium-size
uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined; 2 Tbsp. sugar; 2 Tbsp. Thai
fish sauce; 2 eggs, lightly beated; 1/4 cup tofu, chopped into small
pieces and fried in vegetable oil until brown and crisp; 6 Tbsp. roasted
and salted peanuts, chopped; 1/4 cup chives, cut into 1-inch pieces; 1
cup mung bean sprouts, rinsed and drained; salt, if needed; 2 limes, cut
into quarters.

Soak rice noodles in warm water until soft, about 15-30 minutes. Drain,
toss with half the oil, and set aside. Heat remaining oil in wok or large
skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until just
golden, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and toss with the oil and garlic.
Add sugar and fish sauce, and toss well.
Add eggs; let them set for about 15 seconds, and then scramble them
in the pan. Add tofu, about half the peanuts, and chives. Toss gently to
heat through, about 2 minutes. Add rice noodles and bean sprouts and
toss together. Taste and add salt if needed.
Garnish with lime wedges and remaining peanuts. [In place of the
limes, I simply squirted lime juice over it.]
Serves 2 as a main meal. [I got four servings out of it, but that may just
be me.]

Jim Parish