[LMB] Barrayan Women was: Ekaterin

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:53:14 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Debbie wrote:

> So, synopsizing you post here, you don't find stories interesting unless
> people are getting shot?

Not the OP, but it depends.  In most stories that I find
interesting someone eventually does get shot at, or attacked.
Not all, though.  I do tend NOT to like slice-of-life stories
about the relationship problems of pretty, upper-middle-class
white people very much.  Especially not if I find myself sitting
there thinking "Dump him, you idiotic bint," or "You people HAVE
no problems."

> Bujold writes compelling examinations of the hearts and minds
> of believable people, not just running ray-gun battles like
> Weber.

The genius of Bujold is that she can do both, though I rather
like Weber when I'm in the mood.

> The book where Bujold finally answers that question will be
> greater, darker, more tense and more dramatic than any THREE
> books she's previously written put together and will be far
> more hair-raising than any running ray-gun battle.

Yes, but I don't know that I could read a whole book about infant
death...

~malfoy, sigh.