[LMB] Random thoughts on Vor naming conventions...

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:47:17 EDT

In a message dated 9/1/2004 10:08:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lois-bujold-request at lists.herald.co.uk writes:

Another  thought - if Miles' daughter marries a Vor
lord, will the second son end up  being called
Naismith? *grins*

M:

I think only if she married a Count or Count's heir.

Miles' name broke the tradition itself--his "heir's name" (see tWA) was
supposed to have been Piotr Miles.  I assume it would also be AA's  second son who
would get "Naismith" for a middle name if the tradition  reestablished
literally, although they might go back to  the traditional heir's name and call the
first son Piotr Whatever, and  the second son Whatever Miles.  After all,
Piotr was a famous man in  Barrayaran history, and a descendant  would be proud to
be named after  him.  Or just break tradition altogether.  I would assume
that  if any child had Naismith for a middle name, they would just call him  by
his first name, like they did Miles.

Mary