[LMB] Barrayan theatre was: OT: Cocteau's Beauty & the Beast

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:28:50 EDT

In a message dated 9/3/2004 8:49:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lois-bujold-request at lists.herald.co.uk writes:

Y'know,  we haven't heard of a single female mutie in Barrayan lore yet.  Do
I  sense I repressed archetype of tremendous power lurking below the  surface?

M:

Well, there's Raina Csurik.  And we don't know what sexes Ma  Mattulich's
four stillborn/ murdered babies were, among others that were  killed.  We just
haven't heard of a surviving female mutant.  If  people wanted sons more than
daughters, a deformed daughter wouldn't have  much of a chance of the family
hiding her to keep her alive, would she?   Which means, I guess, that the
melodrama's female villain wouldn't be deformed,  but would for some reason (just
pure evil, I guess) be allied with the vile male  mutant villain. (I could have
handled that.  Melodramas don't have to make  much sense; as long as enough
beer is sold to the audience, nobody notices, or  if they notice, they don't
care.)

Mary