[LMB] Exposition and Quantum Theater

Debbie lioness at bellsouth.net
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:03:37 -0500

<snip>
>And that's where we hit the problem. Rowling's exposition has exactly the
>same problem, for me, that I've just described with regard to Bujold's
>books. Both of them do a good job of presenting new information exactly
>when it's needed; however, they both do so in a manner which makes me say,
>"Oh, you're just making this shit up as you go..." And that's a
>significant weakness in their books, for me, a weakness that prevents me
>from holding either the Harry Potter or Miles Vorkosigan stories in as
>high regard as Kate and many other do. Both worlds have a sort of
>stage-set quality to them: because essential facts about the world aren't
>revealed until it's absolutely essential, I don't feel much of a sense of
>depth. It's even worse that, though: the way it's handled makes me suspect
>that nothing exists beyond what we actually see until the author needs to
>show it to us. Call it "quantum theater."
<snip>

>Karen

*nods vigorously* EXACTLY.

It's a narrator problem.  Bujold's books all have third person limited
narrators.  However worthy these individuals are, they are not
omniscent.  They don't know everything and they can't represent every
viewpoint.  Yet since they are the only way we have of learning about the
world, we must accept their views of The Way Things Are.  That's okay in a
single book, a sequel, or even a trilogy.  But once you get up to four
books you need to present more complexity for your world to grow.  Lois has
FIFTEEN books in the Vorkosigan Saga, and the opinions of her original
limited narrators are still presented as The Only Right Way To Look At
Barrayar.  Anyone who shows up with a different opinion is Wrong
Somehow.  Much as I enjoy the stories, I'm tearing my hair out over the
lack of variety.

Forex:  Barrayar has a thriving holovid industry.  It's been mentioned
several times.  That didn't come from nowhere.  Where's the widespread
Barrayan theatre community that holovid industry grew out of, that provided
the trained professionals for the first generations of holovid
productions?  Even if it's completely disappeared in the past two
generations, the remnants should still be out there somewhere.  (I'm
tempted to digress into technical questions regarding stock characters and
the difficulties involved in live theatre, but I'll leave them for the
experts on the list.)  And where are all those holovids getting made
anyway?  Somewhere on that planet is the Barrayan Hollywood, a town that
considers anyone from the Vorkosigan District as hopeless hicks and Vorbarr
Sultana as too staid and bureaucratic to stay in any longer than
necessary.  Goodness, they roll up the sidewalks there at sunset!  There's
no night life beyond what appeals to the limited tastes of soldiers and
bureaucrats and the limited budgets of college students, nothing to appeal
to people of -- esoteric tastes.

And then there's the matter of stereotypes and folk tales, but I'll save
that rant for later.

Aggh, I'm sick and tired of Vorbarr Sultana.  I want to see the rest of
Barrayar!

Debbie
http://www.brigidsforge.com
Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

"He hasn't been the same since his spirit guide discovered object-oriented
programming."