[LMB] Pronunciations

Rowena morgaine at zonnet.nl
Sun Jun 4 21:44:08 BST 2006

Peter H. Granzeau wrote:

> A short quote: "Butter, bread, and green cheese, makes good English
> and good Frees" is the same in both languages, I understand.

Not quite. Quoting wikipedia:

 >>The English language is also closely related to Frisian. There is a
saying about it: "As milk is to cheese, are English and Frise."

Another version of this saying reads (in Frisian): "Bu"ter, brea, en
griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries", which in
English reads: "Butter, bread and green cheese, whoever can't say that
is no real Frise". The saying plays on the sound differences between the
Dutch and Frisian words for "butter, bread and green cheese", which in
Frisian are pronounced almost identically to their English counterparts
(showing the original closeness between the two languages), while in
Dutch ("Boter, brood en groene kaas"), these words sound quite different.<<

Rowena, Dutch-speaking, English speaking, but alas not Frisian speaking