[LMB] HH pb sighting

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Tue Jun 6 03:58:12 BST 2006

*alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca*
/Tue Jun 6 03:35:08 BST 2006/
-------------------------

I finally got to read the first chapter of _The Sharing Knife_, at the end
of the HH pb: a fairly slow start, but certainly lots of questions are
raised, action is foreshadowed to occur fairly quickly, and the characters
definitely look worth further acquaintance. Doesn't grab you by the
throat, though (maybe it's just J-school training that makes me tend to
expect this: it's certainly not a requirement.)

--
Alayne McGregor

***Hm, well.  If they'd thought to ask me (it was a surprise, if a
pleasant one, that the teaser chapter got included at the back of HH),
I'd have suggested they include the first scene of Ch. 2, which would
have assured the action addicts that it's not that slow an opening,
really.  (Live-reading veterans can tell us if this is so or not.)

Although -- while the book has action, it's not focused on same, so
perhaps this is a good choice after all; action-people won't complain of
bait-'n-switch, this way.  I think the action is balanced over the two
volumes, but not necessarily in each one individually.  I'm just about
to do a last editorial pass over Vol. 2, this week; it will look, I
suspect, much less like a stand-alone than Vol. 1.  And I think Vol. 1
will look less like a stand-alone from the perspective of the end of the
duology.

And ghod knows what they'll make of the opening chapter of Vol. 2,
action-wise...

(Closes mouth on spoilers.)

Ta, L.