Implicature ( was: Re: [LMB] Bookman Bookshelves: OT: but very cool)

Jim Parish jparish at siue.edu
Wed Jun 7 22:49:58 BST 2006

Pete Granzeau wrote:
> I thought "last" implied more than two?

I replied:
> :grins wickedly: Shall we discuss the concept of "conversational
> implicature"? I'm game if you are...

It occurs to me that that may have come off as rather slighting of Pete.
If so, I do apologize. I only meant that language is a complicated thing,
and that Pete's question touches on a complex, but interesting, area of
study, one that I'm willing to expound on if prompted. (Anything I say is,
of course, subject to correction by professional linguists such as Mark
Mandel; my knowledge of the subject rests on having read a couple of
books, no more.)

Jim Parish