Implicature ( was: Re: [LMB] Bookman Bookshelves: OT: but very cool)

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Thu Jun 8 15:45:59 BST 2006

At 05:49 PM 6/7/2006, Jim Parish wrote:
>Pete Granzeau wrote:
> > I thought "last" implied more than two?
>
>I replied:
> > :grins wickedly: Shall we discuss the concept of "conversational
> > implicature"? I'm game if you are...
>
>It occurs to me that that may have come off as rather slighting of Pete.
>If so, I do apologize. I only meant that language is a complicated thing,
>and that Pete's question touches on a complex, but interesting, area of
>study, one that I'm willing to expound on if prompted. (Anything I say is,
>of course, subject to correction by professional linguists such as Mark
>Mandel; my knowledge of the subject rests on having read a couple of
>books, no more.)

I exhausted my meagre thoughts on the subject in the line quoted
above, actually.  I am always open to a discussion, however.  As a
start:  Merriam-Webster defines the adjective "last" at length, but
begins with: "1 a : following all the rest (he was the last one
out)".  Doesn't "all the rest" also imply more than one?

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net