[LMB] A Barrayaran just-so-story

Margaret Dean margdean at erols.com
Thu Jun 8 16:05:48 BST 2006

"Peter H. Granzeau" wrote:

> At 07:19 AM 6/8/2006, Margaret Dean wrote:
> >Alfred Kelgarries wrote:
> > >
> > > yeah, but which real world military leader did she crib it from? Custer of
> > > the Little Big Horn wore blue, only the brits wore red, IIRC, so
> > which brit?
> >
> >I've heard it told of Lord Nelson (complete with speech
> >impediment "...my wed jacket and my bwown twousers" -- have no
> >idea whether or not that is historical).  OTOH the British Navy
> >wore blue, too, IIRC, so... ???
>
> Since it is made up of whole cloth (it's a joke, not an anecdote),
> historical accuracy makes little difference.

It was the speech impediment that I was wondering about the
historicity of.  I realize that wasn't clear.

I now remember where I first heard the joke, too:  from John
Boardman at one of his "First Saturday" gatherings in Brooklyn.
Would have been early-to-mid-80s?

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean at erols.com>