[LMB] OT: Who reads novels & why - VERY enlightening

PAT MATHEWS mathews55 at msn.com
Fri Jun 9 23:38:14 BST 2006

What's Your Favorite Novel?
A recent survey of men's and women's favorite books points to a more
fundamental question—and a fascinating answer.
Nick Gillespie

Over the past year or so, the British cultural historians Lisa Jardine and
Annie Watkins conducted two surveys designed to pin down a consensus on
novels that had "changed reader's lives." First, they interviewed 400 women,
most of them involved in the arts, media, and university life. "Absolutely
every woman we spoke to had her favourite," they reported recently in
Britain's Guardian newspaper. Beyond the enthusiasm evinced by the
interviewees, Jardine and Watkins were struck by the wide range of

The top titles that emerged were surprisingly varied. They ranged from The
Lord of the Rings and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to Catch 22, Gone
With The Wind, Rebecca, Heart of Darkness and The Golden Notebook. This was
alongside such perennial favourites as Jane Eyre (our way- out-in-front
eventual winner), Mrs Dalloway, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice,
Middlemarch and Anna Karenina. Jeanette Winterson's Passion and Oranges Are
Not The Only Fruit, Toni Morrison's Beloved and Margaret Atwood's The
Handmaid's Tale had bands of loyal followers.
When they got around to interviewing men on the same topic, the results were
decidedly different. For starters, many male respondents took issue with the
question itself, either refusing to name a text or picking a non-fiction
work instead of a novel. "Many men we approached really did not seem to
associate reading fiction with life choices," wrote Jardine and Watkins. The
men's responses also didn't vary as much as the women's. The women they
interviewed coughed up about 200 different titles, whereas the men's picks
congregated mostly around four works: Albert Camus's The Stranger
(traditionally translated into British English as The Outsider), Gabriel
Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, J.D. Salinger's The Catcher
in the Rye, and Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.
"The men's list was all angst and Orwell. Sort of puberty reading," Jardine
cheekily told the Sydney Morning Herald. "We found that men do not regard
books as a constant companion to their life's journey, as consolers or
guides, as women do... They read novels a bit like they read photography
manuals."

This is all good fun, to be sure, even the genial gender-bashing, and the
top 20 choices for women and men are online here, so you can argue with the
poor taste of either or both sexes. (Alas, it's with a heavy, stereotyped
heart that I cop to being a Camus man myself--though contrary to Jardine and
Watkins's characterization of male reading habits, I find myself perusing
the novel every couple of years at the very least.)

Jardine and Watkins did have an ulterior motive in compiling their lists: to
focus attention on the way they believe Britain's publishing world
systematically devalues female authors. After noting that, "on the whole,
"men between the ages of 20 and 50 do not read fiction, Jardine told the
Herald, "What I find extraordinary is the hold the male cultural
establishment has over book prizes like the Booker, for instance, and in
deciding what is the best... On the other hand, the Orange Prize for Fiction
[which honors women authors] is still regarded as ephemeral." That may or
may not be the case—my knowledge of the U.K.'s literary prizes is about as
deep as my interest in the same. To my mind, though, Jardine and Watkins'
exercise raises another, more fundamental question: Why do we—men and women,
boys and girls, Brits and Americans—read fiction in the first place?

As it happens, there's a rich new book out on precisely that topic: Why We
Read Fiction: Theory of Mind and the Novel, by Lisa Zunshine, who teaches
English at the University of Kentucky. Zunshine is a Russian emigre who
earned her Ph.D. at University of California at Santa Barbara, where she
worked with two of the major players in evolutionary psychology, John Tooby
and Leda Cosmides. Zunshine uses recent developments in cognitive psychology
known as "Theory of Mind" to explain why human beings are drawn to both the
creation and consumption of narrative texts. "Theory of Mind," writes
Zunshine toward the end of her book, "is a cluster of cognitive adaptations
that allows us to navigate our social world and also structures that world.
Intensely social species that we are, we thus read fiction because it
engages, in a variety of particularly focused ways, our Theory of Mind."

In a recent email exchange with me, she explains further. We have an
"evolved cognitive predisposition to attribute states of mind to ourselves
and others" that is also known as "mind-reading." "These cognitive
mechanisms," writes Zunshine, "evolved to process information about thoughts
and feelings of human beings, seem to be constantly on the alert, checking
out their environment for cues that fit their input conditions. On some
level, works of fiction manage to cheat these mechanisms into believing that
they are in the presence of material that they were 'designed' to process,
i.e., that they are in the presence of agents endowed with a potential for a
rich array of intentional stances."

In a sense, then, we read novels about Meursault and Heathcliff, Montana
Wildhack and Elizabeth Bennett, because they allow us to practice what we do
elsewhere in our lives: Figure out the world by figuring out, or at least
trying to figure out, what other people are thinking and feeling. Zunshine
fills in the details with bravura chapters about novels with notoriously
unreliable narrators (e.g., Lolita and Clarissa) and a long section on the
detective novel, which underscores the desire and need to assign motives to
whole casts of characters. The result is nothing less than a tour de force
of cutting-edge lit-crit.

As someone who did graduate studies in English in the late 1980s and early
'90s, I find Why We Read Fiction memorable for reasons that go beyond
whatever light it might shed on our experience with individual texts. A
decade ago, it was a given that literary studies had for a variety of
reasons written off truly serious engagement with most scientific research.
While it was permissible—indeed, virtually required--to use quasi- and
pseudo-scientific theories drawn from, say, Freudian and Lacanian
psychoanalysis to explain texts, then-hegemonic academic heavyweights were
quick to follow Foucault in arguing that all discourses were myths,
fictions, or socially constructed "truths" that masked a will to power more
than anything else (the only discourse that was exempted from such withering
skepticism was, predictably, the critic's own).

>From such a poststructuralist or postmodernist perspective,
"science"-embedded as it was in naive Enlightenment narratives about
Progress (with a capital P) and the possibility of objective knowledge-was
viewed through a jaundiced eye, just one cultural construct among countless
others, and more suspicious than most since it seemed to be dominated by
men. (As I've written elsewhere, this critique possesses "considerable
rhetorical and explanatory power.")

Writing in 1996—the same year as "The Sokal Hoax", in which an NYU physics
professor* humiliated the editorial board of the leading poststructuralist
cultural studies journal of the day by publishing a bogus article in its
pages—Robert Storey, a former professor of mine and one of the first of what
have come to be called "bio-critics," thundered:

"If [literary theory] continues on its present course, its reputation as a
laughingstock among the scientific disciplines will come to be all but
irreversible. Given the current state of scientific knowledge, it is still
possible for literary theory to recover both seriousness and integrity and
to be restored to legitimacy in the world at large."
Why We Read Fiction—and related work being done by critics such as Nancy
Easterlin, Alan Palmer, and Donald R. Wehrs, to name three who appeared on a
cognitive psychology panel at the last Modern Language Association
conference—serves notice that literary studies is already in the thick of a
serious engagement with science, to the benefit of critics and readers—and
scientists, too, who need the human implications of their work to be
explored fully—alike.
* An earlier version of this article incorrectly identified Alan Sokal's
field of study. It is physics.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/