[LMB] OT: Implicature (second and last part)

Jim Parish jparish at siue.edu
Mon Jun 12 03:29:46 BST 2006

Sylvus Tarn wrote:
> Oh no, no, no.  In fact, I hadn't thought I had made nor indeed even
> implied any such claim;  this is why I don't like to comment: it is
> appears to be a corollary of that rule about correcting others' grammar
> that when I do I inevitably discover I not only know less than the folks
> to whom I'm directing my comments, but *much* less.  And there is
> nothing more deadly than inserting oneself into conversations when 70%
> of the content is zooming above, like the 747.
>
> My apologies.

And mine. I seem to be rather grumpy lately, for no discernible reason.
Please don't shy away from these conversations! (If nothing else, it
always helps to get feedback as to how clear - and how sensible -
what's being said is. Speaking as a professor of mathematics, I can't tell
you how precious that is!)

Jim Parish