[LMB] OT: Stereotypes was DOS Attack, Iraq Style...

Kalina Varbanova kikibug13 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:44:03 BST 2006

On 5/2/06, PAT MATHEWS <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:

> Andersen was a Victorian, wasn't he? Same culture as Dickens? Tolkien, for
> all he endured two world wars, came from a world in which little match
> sellers did NOT die on the streets of cold and hunger - he was probably born
> about the time Andersen was growing old. Or is my timing wrong?

Hmm... I would think Tolkien's essay (which I haven't read, yet) an overview
of the genre, rather than of reality. I rather think that the World War
which inspired a lot of ROTK, as far as I know, also did leave quite a few
little ... urm... urchins dying of cold and hunger. But Rowena's comment is
probably relevant to my original musings - perhaps the essay was on _folk_
fairy tales, so Anderson would not have been considered. (Do not get me
wrong - I love Anderson. In fact I love his stories so much I am considering
locating and re-reading them - not little matchbox-seller, this one I can
admire but not trully love, it's just too sad - one of these days!)

Kalina