[LMB] LMB Tech In The News: Laser Weapon Development AgainstOrbiting Satelli

Alfred Kelgarries alfredkelgarries at hotmail.com
Fri May 5 00:11:29 BST 2006

>Reporters freaking out because optics research is being funded out of
>a different pot of money. They're trying to build adaptive optics to
>compensate for atmospheric distortion. Apparently the pure-research
>money ran out, so now they're pitching it as weapons research. Same
>project, new label. Those lasers were blinking at some of the birds I
>worked on in the AF. I generated visibility schedules for them.
>
>and recommends:
>http://www.defensetech.org/archives/002380.html

But you're taking all the FUN out of it... :):)

BTW, the earlier version of this system was the basis for Tom Clancy/Jeff
Rovin's novel The Cardinal Of The Kremlin. The technology of the later
itself is used in both the THEL and the ABML (Boeing 747 with a laser in
side firing thorugh a telescope in the nose to hit ICBM's in the boost
phase, early tests have been promising but no cigar yet...)

Alfred Kelgarries
"War is the art of lying to your enemies better than they can lie to you."
Sun Tzu, modern version
alfredkelgarries at gmail.com -- alternate email for personal mail if needed