[LMB] Old Moldy OT:

Kalina Varbanova kikibug13 at gmail.com
Wed May 10 15:06:42 BST 2006

On 5/10/06, Christine Forber <christine at forber.net> wrote:

> When I marked exams, once in a while a student would get a really
> blatantly wrong answer, realize that it couldn't be right and say so. I
> always gave them bonus marks for knowing that their answer was wrong, even
> if they couldn't figure out why. Unfortunately, cases like that were few and
> far between. Most just trusted their calculators and obviously didn't THINK
> about whether the answer was reasonable. I can't figure out how someone
> could have written a statement to the effect of "It would take 10^6 g of
> chemical to make a 1L buffer solution of pH #." Sure. Right. Or the converse
> 10^-6 g. I wouldn't want a student like that working in a lab with me.

My very short comment - I was in hight school in NH for a year and I took
chemistry. After some work on the chalkboard, one of the other students
reached the result that 1l = 10 dm^3 - and it _was_one of the few times I
was close to hysterics. I mean, the _definition_ of 1L is 1 dm^3. And the
teacher didn't correct it. He tried to calm me down with the comment "don't
worry, no one would remember it the wrong way anyway..." which didn't help
at all...

Kalina
--
You have two hands. One to help yourself and one to help others.