[LMB] OT: missing books (was K. J. Parker)

Tracy MacShane billie_t at fastmail.fm
Fri May 19 01:30:50 BST 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006 22:33:38 +0200 (CEST), "Rachel Ganz"
<rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk> said:
> I've just discovered K.J. Parker's "The fencer trilogy". 1st volume in my
> local library. Any opions? I'm enjoying it.
>
> Further to that. Can a librarian among  the list members explain why vol
> 1 of the trilogy is in the local library, vol. 2 is 10 miles away, and
> vol 3. is 9 miles in the opposite direction. I just think how irritating
> it must be for members of communities 2 and 3.

Ahahaha! One of my pet hates with libraries. And what makes it *even
better* is when there are 6 copies of Vols 1 and 3 available at a
certain branch, and only 1 copy of Vol 2 to be had anywhere in the whole
library system (assuming it exists at all, which it quite often
doesn't).

However, the explanation re the "only 6 books by this author to be
purchased, let's spread them around" makes (some) sense, thank you,
Raye. I just wish that some libraries would read all the cataloging data
(which often *does* mention it's part of a series) and make the decision
to hold all the books at a single branch. I still don't get the thing
where there are a zillion copies of one part (usually *not* Part 1) and
none of some of the others.

Oh well, one of life's physics mysteries, like why all the buses arrive
at once. :-)