[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: Laundry

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 05:22:11 BST 2006

--- PAT MATHEWS <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:

> A lot of the frugal living advisors and the energy
> saving advisors suggest
> washing your laundry - all of it - in warm or even
> cold water.  I consider
> the nature of soiled underwear and cleaning rags and
> shudder. Isn't this
> unsanitary? Or do they use disposables?

It's the action of agitation that kills most of the
germs, rather than the temperature.  If you have a
machine that swirls your clothes around adequately, it
doesn't much matter if it's hot of cold.  If you use a
detergent that is rated for cold water, it will clean
the garments very well.  I always toss in a generous
(1/3 cup or so) splash of disinfectant (about $1 in
the cleaning aisle of the supermarket for a 2-litre
[that would be just over 3 pints] bottle of the home
brand) with every wash, to take care of any nasties
that survive the agitation, and if there is anything
which really looks as if it needs the help, it gets
soaked in Napisan (an effective nappy/diaper cleaner)
overnight.  Greasy work clothes get washed, not with
washing powder, but with a similar amount of
dishwashing liquid (it works!).

However, I would *NEVER* wash cleaning rags with any
kind of clothing.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
livejournal: http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

"It 'went away'?  'I dwell in darkness without you'
and it WENT AWAY?"
  -- Sorcha, 'Willow'