[LMB] Pronunciations

Kalina Varbanova kikibug13 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 04:57:33 BST 2006

On 5/22/06, Mark A. Mandel <thnidu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Umm. First. Sorry, Kalina, but there are not more vowels in "AIR-al" than
> in "barrel". More vowel LETTERS, but not more vowels. Kind of the way
> "дача"/"dacha" has four letters in Russian and five in English to represent
> the same pronunciation.

Hm. I admit it may be my ignorance - I just hadn't heard anybody using an
"i" sound before the "r" in Barrel, nor an "a" sound after the "r". Which
isn't saying much - I haven't lived all _that_ long in an English-speaking
country, and I am well aware I have heard but a small fraction of - yes, I
know, dialects.
Thanks :)

Kalina
--
You have two hands. One to help yourself and one to help others.