[LMB] the economics of books

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Feb 10 02:32:05 GMT 2010

On Feb 9, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Becca wrote:
> --- On Tue, 2/9/10, Francis Turner <francis.turner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Becca <becca_price at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Maybe the problem was the book itself. I found Farthing to be so >>terminally depressing that I
>>> had no interest in reading any sequels.
>
>> I have to say that was my thought too. I couldn't finish it. Though
>> apparently some people did like it.nfo/lois-bujold
>
> That's the thing about free books - they have to be engaging, not just free.

Oh, but I thought Farthing was terrific.  I found it distressing, certainly, and horribly plausible, but not depressing.  I've just finished Half a Crown, the third and last in the series -- let's see, how can I put this without spoilers?-- I think it does resolve matters in a more satisfying way.  Though I could have done with another chapter or so seeing how further events played out.  That's actually one of the things I really appreciate about Lois's books--she doesn't end abruptly right after the resolution of the plot.

Katherine