[LMB] OT: Fun with meds (was: A confession to make)

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu May 3 07:36:18 BST 2012

On 2 May 2012, at 07:16, Laura Gallagher wrote:
> Chiming in on later posts, I (and my mother) cannot use the generic
> thyroid pills, but must insist on the synthroid.

The only issue I've had with generics is %age of active ingredients. My pdoc had me on a particular dose of a med, for which I was given generic. It didn't seem to be helping as well, so she increased the dosage. She said the generic only has to be 85% as effective as the brand name!

Fun with pharmacy staff:
I have been using fioriNAL since the mid-80's for migraine relief. Several years ago, some "helpful" person decided to give me the "generic"--but it was in tablets, not in capsules, AND not for the correct drug. It was for fioriCET, which has tylenol, which has no effect on me whatsoever. I argued with the tech, who didn't get it, and if the pharmacist was called in, I don't recall. I refused to accept & pay for medication that would not work, and talked to the prescribing doctor ASAP, asking her to specify that it be brand, and not generic, capsules and not tablets (a double-safe). Occasionally I had to point out, in the pharmacy records, what I should be getting, until there actually was a generic in capsules for fioriNAL. Haven't noticed any diminution in effectiveness in these.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
It takes courage to love, but pain through love is the purifying fire which those who love generously know. We all know people who are so much afraid of pain that they shut themselves up like clams in a shell and, giving out nothing, receive nothing and therefore shrink until life is a mere living death.

Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962) First Lady of the US (1933-45) [Anna Eleanor Roosevelt]
My Day (1 Apr 1939)