[LMB] nothing you'll dislike

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Fri May 4 18:40:49 BST 2012

[LMB] nothing you'll dislike
Joanna Lynn Karpinski jlynnkarpins at yahoo.es
Wed May 2 17:05:03 BST 2012

Hi folks,
I'm new to the list. I'm re-reading the books and stumbled on something
that puzzled me.
In Shards, when Vorkosigan is in Cordelia's cabin and proposes to her
for the first time, he tries to explain his choice of time and place,
saying,
"But I couldn't let you go on thinking—what were you thinking,
anyway?"She shook her head. "I don't think I want to say, just now. I'll
tell you someday. It's nothing you'll dislike, I don't believe."

Do we ever find out what it was that she was thinking? Does she ever
tell him?
Thanks and nice to meet everyone!
Joanna

LMB: Come to think, I'm not sure anyone else _can_ answer this one...

Insofar as I can remember what I was thinking about what Cordelia was
thinking about on the day I wrote that back in 1983 (which is your
signal that this is a reconstructed memory), it was something like,
"Gee, if only this threatened war doesn't materialize, this might be a
guy I'd like to try dating..." For whatever Betan values of "dating" you
may imagine. Aral-friendly thoughts, anyway.

Do remember, when considering Cordelia and her non-risk-averse behavior,
what she does/did for a _living_. (Or at least for a salary, benefits,
and a pension.) She's toward the end of that risk-tropic bell-curve even
for Betans.

Ta, L.

(I am, by the way, about to go off-line for about ten days, so there
will be a silence from my quarter for a while.)