[LMB] characters and world

Natali natali.vilic at gmail.com
Sat May 5 14:13:35 BST 2012

On Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:40 PM Rachel wrote:
>I might have said this before, but there's something else in Lois'
>work for me other than fantastic characters and interesting world
>building, because while those are both fantastic I've read other SFF
>books that I felt had both and yet didn't resonate with me the way
>Lois' books do. Lois' characters play around with language, which I
>love, but also, every now and then, a sentence or two will hit me as
>Truth--as something important about the human condition. I love that,
>and I don't find it in other SSF much. I don't know whether that's
>because Lois is a better writer, or if it's because her worldview
>matches mine in a way that makes me feel understood.

Yes, exactly that. But what makes this even better, is the fact
that there is not a slightest hint of preaching in such sentences.

Speaking of characters, I am just reading a book about inspector
Pekkala (Eye of the Red Tsar by Sam Eastland) and he reminds
me muchly of Illyan, both because of his circumstances and
behaviour...

Natali