[LMB] OT: Internet Troubles

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sun May 6 07:13:58 BST 2012

On 5/5/2012 3:57 PM, Katrina Knight wrote:
> At 04:45 PM 05/05/2012 Nicholas D. Rosen wrote:
>> I have dial-up through a Verizon landline. It may be all Verizon's
>> fault, or maybe something else.
>
> Several years ago the few clients I had who were still using Verizon
> dial-up had to give up on it because they were having trouble staying
> connected and when they were connected the connection wasn't reliable.
> It seemed likely that Verizon was failing to keep their dial-up service
> in working order because they wanted everyone to switch to DSL instead.
> (Given that the price for low-end DSL was less than the price for
> dial-up it didn't make sense for people who could get DSL to stick with
> dial-up anyway.) It wouldn't surprise me if you were having issues due
> to a similar lack of care on Verizon's part.
>
> That being said, there are other possibilities as well. If you have
> specified specific addresses for DNS in your tcp/ip settings rather than
> having it assigned automatically that could be the cause of problems
> connecting to some sites. Malware of some sort is another possibility.
> Malware that tries to communicate over the internet can make using a
> dial-up connection almost impossible.
>
> If you need some help figuring this out, you can contact me offlist if
> you like.

I would remark here that my own difficulties do seem to be worse when
conditions like weather slow down my 3G connection.  When it's below
about 70 kB/s, more pages fail to load, when it's above 120 kB/s, most
pages load (sometimes with a retry or two.  On dialup, I'm sure it would
be very frustrating.

(I'm quite certain that I myself do not have malware.)

Mark