[LMB] Paladin discussion questions?

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sun May 6 21:57:12 BST 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Becca <becca_price at yahoo.com> wrote:

[some snip]

> Since we're all women of a Certain Age, and all of us are hopefully starting a new profession and new jobs, I've suggested Paladin of Souls as our first book.  One of the other women and I have already read it, and the others are up for it.
>
> Can any one suggest a couple of good questions I can ask the group to get our conversation started? the only ones I can think of are the obvious ones: how do we identify with Ista? Which of the Five Gods do you think is your God? (I'm going with the Dratsab for myself, because there are so many things "out of season" in my life - I even came to motherhood about the time Ista was having her children move away from her, so I'm even doing motherhood out of season.)

[some snip]

> "Grant us, in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness, understanding."

I'd say a discussion of that very quote from your sig isn't a bad thing to do.

Depending on how literary you want to get, there are two points to
discuss:  Connections with Chaucer and the thought of a pilgrimage in
general can be worth a lot -- personal discussions about one's own
pilgrimages in life could add quite a bit of personal insight.  On the
opposite end of the literary spectrum is the "oh, by the way, this is
a zombie story."  I'm not sure what that'll bring out in discussion,
but it could be amusing.

Discussing "running away" as an actual successful way of getting away
from some of life's problems, possibly with some discussion of when
running away isn't the best idea.

Many many possibilities exist, depending on what kind of discussions
you want to have come out of the reading....

Karen Hunt