[LMB] Paladin discussion questions no. 2

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Tue May 8 07:03:11 BST 2012

On 5/7/12 11:58 AM, John Lennard wrote:
<lots of insightful stuff, hereby snipped>

> 11. THE SIEGE OF PORIFORS
>
> <snip> And it
> occurs to me that while sieges, even sorcerous, of castle-cities, and
> battlescenes in general, are a dime a dozen in the genre at large, this is
> pretty much a first for Lois. Of course there's -lots- of action and
> generous biffing of opponents in the Vorkosiverse, but nothing resembling a
> full-blown war since the Hegen Hub (a very brief scene that is, too), and
> nothing a bit like this siege comes to mind ; nor like Arhys's last ride ;
> nor anything actually narrated like the suffering of ordinary soldiers and
> the mass burials that are needed afterwards.

IMO there is something very similar in the Vorkosiverse cannon, although
it predates Miles and the Hegen hub by decades: the Barrayaran invasion
of Escobar.

Cordelia's insight on sacrificial lambs, before the invasion starts.

The toilings of Medtech Boni, moping up the space lanes to prepare for
mass burials -- _Aftermaths_ is to me one of the most powerful things
Lois wrote.

And what are the parallels between Arhys's last ride and Cordelia's jump
into Escobaran space?

Agnes