[LMB] Paladin discussion questions?

Kenton Schoen kdschoen1 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 12:06:07 BST 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Nicholas D. Rosen <ndrosen at erols.com> wrote:

> Hmm.  It's complicated, like life.  On the one hand, the young have
> much to learn, and we see Iselle learning, and Teidez mostly failing
> to do so.  Cazaril, who has had his youthful impulsiveness burned
> out, and pounded out of him, is in some ways a model to emulate.
> On the other hand, Iselle, who has youth and glamour, is also wiser
> than her much older brother Orico; she's not fooled by Martou dy
> Jironal.

I think Orico deserves a little more sympathy.  he has been inside the
curse for a long time and has seen its terrible effects on his rule.
i think his reaction has been to withdraw as much as possible from
day-to-day governance and turn as much as possible over to the
Chancellor.  I don't know that he is really fooled by (either) dy
Jironal, he just thinks that a competent (if corrupt ) Chancellor is
better than the other alternatives under the curse.  (And if he put in
a new uncorrupt Chancellor, he would become corrupt soon enough.
Aside from the high cost of removing a Chancellor.)  Better the devil
you know....  He has become very passive and distant, but that is just
his way of trying to mitigate the harm of the curse.

> The Provincara complains about the world having gone mad, with
> children now running it, but Iselle seems much better fit to run it, or
> a good part of it, than her grandmother, and certainly than Orico
> and his minister.

Her grandmother has done very well in her limited sphere.  The
Provincara may consider Caz to be "children" from her perspective.

> If you're a teenager who thinks he knows better than his elders, at
> least about some important matters, are you being more like Iselle
> or like Teidez?  If you're a person of mature years, grumbling about
> the foolish and disrespectful youth of today, are you more like dy
> Sanda, reproving Teidez, or like Orico, arranging Iselle's marriage?
> And how do you tell?

Orico, if he had survived, would have arranged Iselle's marriage in
any case.  Or at least had veto power over the arrangement.  There is
(and was) a big difference between a boy of 14 and a woman of 16.  It
was not out of the ordinary that she was considered to be old enough
to marry.  Nobody would think someone Teidez' age was sufficiently
mature to run anything.