[LMB] AKICOT:L reducing glare on a netbook screen

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Wed May 9 02:50:47 BST 2012

Meg,

You have some luck in that iPads are close with a 9.7" display, if I
remember what I've read correctly.  Perhaps a screen add-on for an iPad will
work for you.  Even better, I think the Samsung Galaxy tablet has a 10.1"
display - you might look for screen accessories for those.

I ****HATE**** reflections on displays!!!!!  Glossy surfaces are made worse
by displays that are not bright enough to compete with bright daylight.

No negativity toward you, for you are where I was some years ago.  I'm good
at sympathy in the computer realm and sometimes with helping because I've
personally tested every way to mess up computers.

I'm finicky about my display quality.  Thus, I learned (the hard way) and
adhere to the policy that I WILL NOT buy a computer or TV that doesn't have
a pretty good MAT screen.  This really cuts down on my choices when shopping
but I tend to be happy with the results.  Even with our mat surface TVs,
there are limited ways to arrange our rooms to prevent reflections from the
windows washing out part of the screen.

Ipads and other tablets have very glossy displays due to the Gorilla Glass
display surfaces.  A product made for them might work for you.  Otherwise,
if outdoor work is critical for you, it may be necessary to sell this
netbook even if you take a loss and shop very diligently for one that will
meet your needs, TESTING it before you buy.

I hate it when something like this comes up after I buy something.  What's
the old saying?  Wisdom comes from experience and experience is closely
related to our prior mistakes. ???

Sympathy and good luck.

Ed
Try out Nathan Lowell's Solar Clipper series from Ridan Publishing
    (note: Ridan e-mails you the DRM-free e-book as soon as payment is
made.)
The first four books now in paper and e-book - the others coming soon.
http://www.ridanpublishing.com/quarter_share.html