[LMB] AKICOT:L reducing glare on a netbook screen

Stacey Hill stacey at xtra.co.nz
Wed May 9 03:06:04 BST 2012

From: Ed Burkhead <ed at edburkhead.com> *snip*

I'm finicky about my display quality.  Thus, I learned (the hard way) and
adhere to the policy that I WILL NOT buy a computer or TV that doesn't have
a pretty good MAT screen.  This really cuts down on my choices when shopping
but I tend to be happy with the results.  Even with our mat surface TVs,
there are limited ways to arrange our rooms to prevent reflections from the
windows washing out part of the screen.  *snip*

For those of us who do insist on matte finish there is still an answer but you have to stump up extra cash for it.

For monitors you have the option of purchasing an IPS (interplane switching) panel monitor, and these are currently still supplied in matte.  They are high end professional grade monitor options for graphic designers and photographers etc.

Dell do some excellent value options and I have two on my desk at home - both IPS and both matte finish.  You have to specifically check these days if it is matte, but there is a good chance with IPS that it will be, because the people buying them demand better performance (and are paying for it).  Viewsonic also do affordable options but are not as well reviewed as the Dell.  Or you can go for the best monitor ever which is an NEC and goes for several thousand US.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-2807    - delving into the specifications it tells you it has an antiglare hard coating.

Thats what you need to look out for, and there are limited options in notebooks that have this too, but again you have to specifically go looking for it.  Tablets are a lost cause due to gorilla glass and similar products.  Also bear in mind that they DON'T consider using these devices outside in sunlight normal use so they don't take the extra glare/brightness into consideration.  There are devices that are made with that in mind but again are specialty higher end units.

At the consumer end, you are stuck with whatever is popular and or cheap, where cheap = readily available.  And shiny screens are whats readily available because the great unwashed buy shiny things.  In a nutshell :)

Stacey - selling IT hardware with a healthy dose of cynicsm for 15+ years now