[LMB] Paladin discussion questions?

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Wed May 9 10:19:06 BST 2012

sOn 8/05/2012 12:40 a.m., BJ van Look wrote:
> --- On Sun, 5/6/12, Tony Zbaraschuk<tonyz at eskimo.com>  wrote:
>> Would it be correct to think that you're more interested in the
>> relationships between characters than in, say, worldbuilding
>> questions?  Different categories of queries -- see some of LMB's
>> comments in the past on the different responses of romance and SF
>> readers to the WGW books...
> Very cogent questions, as that alters the starting point of the discussion.
>
> You know, I wanted to make a slight detour off of Tony's post to address an earlier post (which I read on my phone and unfortunately deleted before I got home), which said something along the lines of "Why do you NEED questions? Just talk about what you like the book! It's not that hard!"
>
> That makes me want to facepalm. And headdesk.
> Possibly both, in tandem, if that were possible.
>
> Have you ever had that conversation with a child or teen where you asked them "What were you THINKING?!?!" and they reply, "I dunno"?  And they don't actually know what they were thinking?
>
> *snip*
Seeing as it was my comment, I will take the opportunity to reply.  I do
see your point about having some break the ice questions, absolutely.
However I am beginning to wonder if it is more of a culture misalignment
(any other Kiwi/Aussies out there wanting to comment from their POV?)
or possibly a difference in education style that is boggling me a bit.

I am struggling with either the complete inanity of the 'Oprah' style
questions in the back of some of the contemps that I have read recently
or with the insistence on personally identifying with the characters in
a fantasy novel (with a historical background).

By inane I mean something like "X character drinks a lot and his
brothers are concerned he might be an alcoholic.  Is being an alcoholic
a bad thing?"

By struggling to personally identify, take Ista for example "Do I
identify with an ex queen in pseudo 15thC Spain, whose husband and lover
died in horrific circumstances, and she was locked up due to god induced
madness?"

Yes it could be more along the lines of "Do I identify with a woman who
is a widow, whose children have grown up and moved on and she is at a
loss of what to do with her life?" but OMG why are you having *that*
dissection of a fantasy book, of one of Lois better character novels no
less - Nora Roberts has more than enough fodder if thats the vibe of the
group.

Absolutely introduce new readers to the genre, and to Lois, cannot be a
bad thing, but I do have more than a few WTF moments.

Oh and the teenagers?  were thinking that X was fun/interesting/not
boring/exciting/not boring/would look good on YouTube or FB etc.  They
had perfectly valid teenage reasons but nothing a grown up would feel
the same way about. Having learnt the hard way that they lose those
arguments, its way easier to opt out with the  'i dunno'.  They still
get yelled at but not specifically, just generally, and thats far easier
to shrug off :)

YMMV

Stacey