[LMB] Paladin discussion questions no. 2

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Wed May 9 14:34:47 BST 2012

On May 8, 2012, at 10:04 PM, Pat Mathews wrote:

> Back when Paladin first came out, I raised that issue and the problems it would cause, being quite familiar with the way the Tudor family got its start in English politics. To be brief -  Iselle would have a fit! Because while her mother and stepfather wouldn't cause any succession problems, two generations down the road it could be a civil war waiting to happen.

Ista's late child would be way down the order of legitimacy compared to a younger brother, which you have to have. Today the plan is an heir and a spare, but in those days you really needed more for insurance, because childhood mortality was so high. We already saw one such attempt in _Chalion_, oops that was a son, dangerous to have children even. Ista married way up and so brings no blood legitimacy. But you know the Ottomans managed the brother problem by strangling all the brothers of the new sultan.

Of course, this kind of thing probably happened in Byzantium and Egypt too, but *everything* happened in both those societies.
--
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. --> HL Mencken