[LMB] Paladin discussion questions?

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 15:05:50 BST 2012

From: "beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com" <beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com>
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] Paladin discussion questions?

Hm.  I think there is a difference in what you and I would count as
"identifying."  Do I mean "La!  I am Ista!" absolutely not.  I mean
identifying that I have certain traits in common with some of the
characters, that there is something about *their* experiences that I
recognize from *my own* experiences.  Not the gods and going to war, but
other bits, having family struggles and trying to find your place in the
world.

and this is exactly why i'd like to use Paladin as the first book in our nascent book club.  We're all of us women of "a certain age", all of us have been cocooned in some ways, and all of us are finding the courage to break out of old roles and expectations, to find a new career.  No, of course we don't expect to go on a pilgrimage and find new love, but we're all looking for something new to do with our lives.

I don't expect that all of the books we discuss will have this resonance for us. Many of them will be just for entertainment.  Paladin is prime entertainment, in itself.  But the resonances in PoS are just too good to miss, plus I'm introducing new people to Her Ladyship.

on the issue of identifying or at least resonating with characters in a book:  I may not have resonances with characters in books I read, but I have to find the good guys admirable in some ways, or else I don't want to share my head-space with them. My husband doesn't need this, and can enjoy books where none of the characters are admirable, and all are disliked. I don't see how he does it; he doesn't see how I can't. In the words of one of my favorite mystery characters (John Ceepak), it's all good.

-becca

"Grant us, in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness, understanding."

Paladin of Souls (HB page 35), Lois McMaster Bujold