[LMB] OT: X-Men: First Class - funniest movie I've seen in a long time

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sun May 13 14:05:58 BST 2012

On 13 May 2012, at 05:53, Harimad wrote:
> It probably wasn't meant to be that way.  But the climactic scene (the getting of Shaw and immediate aftermath) had us in stitches for hours.
> Just for starters: either US and Soviet ships can go from zero to 300 knots in 10 seconds, or the US and the Russkies fired simultaneously on British territory (Bahamas or Turks & Caicos).

Had I only known! I remember laughing, when I saw Sleeper when it was newly released, at some of the Yiddish used that apparently none of the rest of the audience got…and I'm not Jewish, nor do I speak Yiddish: I only know about 100 words of it. Obviously, I was in the wrong audience.

While watching the Avengers, I found myself amazed when at the end of Loki's diatribe? tirade? extended name-calling towards Natasha, the last word is one I don't expect to see or hear outside of Victorian erotica. I found myself wondering whether the censors knew what the word was, and then, how much of the audience would. I tried to use it one time at lunchtime Scrabble, and the only other player who knew what it meant had conniption fits.

Starts with a 'q' and was used in place of a derogatory word beginning with 'c'.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel.   Maya Angelou (b. 1928) American poet