[LMB] Terraforming and gengineering

beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
Mon May 14 14:09:12 BST 2012

"Elin B" <elbju at yahoo.se> wrote
> OK, since it's so quiet I'll post a question that I suspect may be rather
> stupid: given Enrique's redesigning of butter bugs to be compatible with
> native Barrayaran biology, could similar things be done to humans in the
> Vorkosiverse? The Cetagandans particularly come to mind. If the Cetagandan
> empire were to stumble upon a new livable planet and decide to colonise
> it, would they be able to engineer colonists whose bodies are more
> compatible with the alien planet's biology than those of normal humans?

Sure they could.  Why would they want to?  Remember, population density in
the Vorkosiverse is very low.  For most planets, we are talking in the
millions, not billions.  And new, easily-colonized worlds are regularly
being discovered.  So, aside from special situations like Komarr which was
colonized early on before people realized just how many good
human-friendly planets there are out there, and which has the wormholes to
induce people to stay, there is no economic or social pressure to get
people to do something so drastic as modify their children's bodies that
much just to make it easier to live on a particular plane.  If it is that
hostile, just find another one.