[LMB] Terraforming and gengineering

markus baur baur at chello.at
Mon May 14 16:34:06 BST 2012

Am 14.05.2012 12:09, schrieb Elin B:
> OK, since it's so quiet I'll post a question that I suspect may be rather stupid: given Enrique's redesigning of butter bugs to be compatible with native Barrayaran biology, could similar things be done to humans in the Vorkosiverse? The Cetagandans particularly come to mind. If the Cetagandan empire were to stumble upon a new livable planet and decide to colonise it, would they be able to engineer colonists whose bodies are more compatible with the alien planet's biology than those of normal humans?
>
> I'm assuming that even if they could, the economy of scale and flexibility (allowing for easy migration of people between planets) would still be heavily in favour of terraforming. But perhaps they could go for a special race à la Quaddies to work in frontier areas clearing the way for others. Though the risk of rebellion might be a lot higher than normal...

it would be easy to prevent rebellion - or at least make sure that a
rebellion would last at maximum one generation .. make sure that their
means of generating offspring is firmly under your control (i.e. make
sure they need something that only you can provide to get children)

a more stringent version makes them dependent on some food subsidiary,
that they cannot produce on a colony world (this is the standard way to
make sure GM lifeforms dont "get away" - make sure that they cant
synthesize some protein or vitamin, that is hard ot get in the wild ..)

the morality of doing that ot an intelligent lifeform is something else,
of course ..

servus

markus