[LMB] Ivan books to read before CVA

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:35:37 BST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM, t_neill t_neill <t_neill at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > *no spoilers, please!*
>> >
>> > What books do you think would be absolutely necessary to re-read
>> > before reading the new Ivan book?
>> >

>> ACC is clearly necessary -- it's the other only one that offers his viewpoint.
>>
>> Other than that, a minimal list that I can see would be:
>> TWA, C, BiA, and MD (since Ivan is moderately important in them).
>>
>> Moving off minimality, maybe TVG and M, since we do see him there.
>>> Karen Hunt
>

> Personally, I'd put Memory right up there with A Civil Campaign.  Chances are (this is speculation, not spoilerage) that we will see Ivan more as we see him in those books than as the feckless, and willfully clueless, youth he was in The Warrior's Apprentice.  Memory is the book where we really see him move from the latter to the former.

Yes, normally I would have said Memory, too, but...

Memory and Mirror Dance are both hard reads in certain regards.  I
pulled Memory mainly because I was afraid that the reading list would
become too difficult to handle, not because it didn't deserve
inclusion.

Makes me wonder if one ought to try restricting the readings of TWA
and BiA to just the Ivan portions to limit the total amount of reading
involved.  For both of those tales, Ivan doesn't really play as much
real role as he does in the others.

> You know, just once I'd like to see Ivan call or visit Miles and Gregor and *not* have them wince when they see him.

Yes, definitely.  Though it was nice hearing Ivan tell Miles "Don't
say it" at the Council of Counts vote and to see Ivan get a nod from
Gregor (even if he mostly wanted to hide in response to that).

Karen Hunt