[LMB] LMB] q-word--I hope this is not very TMI

Stacey Hill stacey at xtra.co.nz
Wed May 16 23:02:07 BST 2012

________________________________
 From: Mark Allums <mark at allums.com>
To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
Sent: Thursday, 17 May 2012 4:26 AM
Subject: [LMB] LMB] q-word--I hope this is not very TMI

On 5/13/2012 8:05 AM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> While watching the Avengers, I found myself amazed
when at the end of Loki's diatribe? tirade? extended
name-calling towards Natasha, the last word is one I don't
expect to see or hear outside of Victorian erotica. I
found myself wondering whether the censors knew what the
word was, and then, how much of the audience would. I
tried to use it one time at lunchtime Scrabble, and the
only other player who knew what it meant had conniption fits.

> Starts with a 'q' and was used in place of a derogatory word beginning with 'c'.
>
> A. Marina Fournier
> SaffronRose at me.com

I finally got around to watching the Avengers (very much a classic superhero comic book movie, and very well done) and saw what we have been referring to.  I thought that bit was rather forced.  It seemed as though Loki was trying to ensure a PG13 rating, as much as it was genuine vitriol.

Interesting choice of word, for sure, though.

I wonder if it seems out of place for us because its (for us) a word out of its time?  IE if he had used the C word or bitch or similar (obviously not a PG13 rated version) would it have felt the same?

Oddly for me, the word that felt the most wrong for me was 'mewling', try as I might, the only response I get from this is the blind crying from very little kittens or puppies (or babies) which juxtaposes very....wrongly against the q word :)

I guess he was using it as a derogatory term, but it still didnt fit right with me.

There you go LOL

Stacey